Friday, November 4, 2011

Grice's Conversational Maxims

As a teenager, I often violated the Maxim of Quantity, especially when answering questions asked by my parents. For example:
As I stand in front of my parents I tap my foot, cross my arms and don’t look either of them in the eye….
My parents: Where are you going tonight?
My reply: Just hanging around.
My parents: Who are you going with?
My reply: You know…everyone.
My parents: When do you expect to be home?
My reply: Sometime before curfew I guess.
The next day…
My parents: So where did you end up going last night?
My reply: Just hanged around.
My parents: Who all went out?
My reply: Everyone…you know.
My parents: Well we are glad you came home safe and on time.
My reply: Yeah...whatever.
I violated this maxim because as a teenager I thought I knew it all, didn’t want to have to answer to everyone and I also wanted my privacy and independence. Of course my parents just cared about me and wanted to know where I would be in case of an emergency or for safety reasons because that was their responsibility. Looking back I know I was a disrespectful brat but it was also typical teenage behavior. Of course I grew out of it and lost the chip on my shoulder!

No comments:

Post a Comment